Author

Author

Friday, September 24, 2010

If You are Willing

My take on the thoughts and experience of the leper in Mark 1:40-45; from his fictional perspective:

I had heard about this man before.

I had heard that the religious leaders were trying to discount his teaching.

But, it's kind of hard to discount teaching that is evidenced by such miracles.

When he came back to Galilee and started telling people about the truth in the Law of Moses and healing people, I wondered if he would come this way.

I was hesitant to make my way to town though.

Every time I go near the place and yell out UCLEAN, UNCLEAN, I'm so humiliated that it takes me months to want to do that again!

But, if this guy could really do what everyone is saying he can...it's worth the trip and the humiliation.

Sure enough, not long after I got to town I started hearing a commotion. I only dared to leave my hiding place when I really thought it was him.

Was this worth it? Was it worth the punishment that would come by letting myself be found in a public place. To be discovered a leper in town was bad enough, but there would be religious leaders with him for sure. What would they do to me if they knew I dared get that close to them?

Not to mention my sin. I wasn't sure what it was but, to be given this fate by God, I had to have done something! There must have been a time that I did something so bad that God thought I deserved this punishment. Why would this teacher and healer do anything for a guy like me? Those other people must have been good people that happened to have small problems.

I barely gave it thought before the noise of the crowd grew louder. It was time to make my move; they might kill me, but it was this or death anyway!

As I pushed my way through the crowd I caught sight of his eyes. I wasn't sure what he looked like or who exactly I was looking for, but, when I saw his eyes, the compassion that they held, the concern for all those around him, I knew this was him!

I fell on my knees and begged him to heal me. I knew by looking into his eyes that the stories were true! I knew that if he wanted to he could make me clean.

He stretched out his hand to me and TOUCHED ME! I hadn't been touched in years...not even by my wife or mother! But this man had such compassion that he overlooked the possibility of contaminating himself.

Then, I looked at my hands and there was no more white skin... no more missing fingers. This Jesus had made me into the man I used to be! He cleaned me up and change my destiny! Not only that... I knew that whatever I had done to deserve this punishment was washed away with the disease!

He told me to do the ritual thing and tell the priest and offer my sacrifice. Beyond that I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. The miracle was supposed to be for the religious leaders only. But I couldn't keep it to myself! This man had done an awesome thing and I was convinced he was more than just a teacher. I hope I didn't mess anything up for him, but this was too good to keep to myself!

I'm healed and renewed and only Jesus could have done that for me!

Never say that your sin is too much for Jesus to forgive! Never say that your situation is too great (or too small) for Jesus to intervene in! Jesus loves you just as much as He loved this leper!

1 comment: